Monday, January 17, 2011

Real... not counterfeit

This is going to be hurried and all over the place because it is the SECOND time I have written this post. The first time took me over 2 hours and then blogger ate it? I wanted to cry and still do!
I had a second to sit down and write (for the first time in a long time) and wanted to catch everybody up on things. My grandmother is home and doing great. We went out to eat together during Christmas and I was blown away by how God had rescued her. She is not even using a walker... Thank you, Jehovah Rapha!
Most of you follow me on facebook and know that Tim almost cut two of his fingers off at work with a scalpel. That was a very scary drive to the Emergency Room. I cried and cried thinking of how gifted he is with his hands and the thought of him not being able to play guitar. But, they stitched him up and he is healing. Again, we praise Jehovah Rapha.
The boys are growing and playing indoor soccer. Reece is finally starting to show the tiniest streak of competitiveness which makes his competitive parents excited... especially his momma. So far, our boys could really care less about winning a sports game. I love the way God has made them all gentle. They have wonderful temperaments... different from their feisty little sister. Hope is nearing 1 year. Hard to believe. I haven't read her birth story since I wrote it. I am going to read it and re-post it on her birthday. She is having a dance party. We know she likes to dance so we are going to dance the night away with a disco ball, legwarmers, and 80s music.

Tim and I are celebrating our 9th wedding anniversary on Wednesday. I have been hard at work re-decorating our bedroom and trying to make it seem like a romantic getaway in the Carribean. :) I LOVE our new canopy bed with drapes. It feels like a sanctuary. I hope that is what our marriage will always be. It is so beautiful to me. Maybe because it is dreamy and feminine with big chunky romantic candles. I just love it. It was my birthday/ anniversary present.
I decided to take time away from teaching Bible Studies to rest... and focus on Tim and the children and it has been so refreshing. I was tired. Hope just started sleeping all night- Praise God and I am like a new person. I am doing a boot camp 5 nights a week for 2 weeks. It is insanely fun!???
Like when he sets the treadmill on the STRAIGHT UP setting and has us do push ups and 4 million lunges. It is intense!
(I praise God every time I see the 2 scars from my picc lines and how God rescued me!
Thank you, God that you are so faithful!!! )
We met with the team of amazing people who serve with us doing the conferences and spent time in prayer and worship asking God to open doors for the gospel and asked Him to let us serve Him again. I can't wait to see what God does next. Tim and I love serving the Lord together and watching God show up in awesome ways and change people's lives!
We also love encouraging single people to serve God with all of their might and wait on God's best for a husband/wife.
The boys and I are having a great time doing homeschool. My approach to schooling the boys is VERY simple. We spend tons of time memorizing and studying the Word of God. I cannot tell you how much I love this time with my older 2 boys. Not that is is free of it's challenges though!
We have been memorizing 1 John for a while now and we have been learning so much as we go.
God has really been impressing these verses on my heart...

"But you have an anointing from the Holy One, and all of you know the truth....
As for you, the anointing you received from him remains in you, and you do not need anyone to teach you. But as his anointing teaches you about all things and as that anointing is real, not counterfeit-just as it has taught you, remain in him."
1 John 2:20, 27


What is that talking about? What anointing? Who gets it? Do I have it? Do YOU have it?
*******
In the Old Testament, an anointing was the practice of pouring oil on the head of someone being set apart for a specific job or position. Like a priest (Ex 28:41) or a king (1 Sam 15:1).
Let's see what we can find out about this practice of "anointing" in the New Testament...
"The Spirit of the Lord is on me, because he has anointed me to preach good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim freedom for the prisoners and recovery of sight for the blind, to release the oppressed" Luke 4:18

"God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Spirit and power, and how he went around doing good and healing all who were under the power of the devil, because God was with him." Acts 10:38

Here we see a direct link between the Holy Spirit and anointing. And how the anointing is used to enable and empower. So, when you believe in Jesus Christ as your Savior and come into a relationship with Him, you are anointed. Anointed for what? Ministry & Doing the Impossible!Every single follower of Christ is called into ministry. You are anointed, not with literal oil, but by the Spirit of God- which sets YOU apart as a priest.
"You are a kingdom of priests, God's holy nation, his very own possession. This is so you can show others the goodness of God, for he called you out of the darkness into his wonderful light."
1 Peter 2:9
He has prepared good works for you to walk into that you canNOT do apart from His power.
But, back to the verses in 1 John...
"But you have an anointing from the Holy One, and all of you know the truth....
As for you, the anointing you received from him remains in you, and you do not need anyone to teach you. But as his anointing teaches you about all things and as that anointing is real, not counterfeit-just as it has taught you, remain in him."
1 John 2:20, 27

Here is where I want you to LISTEN TO ME. God has given you everything you need to understand His Word. I am very concerned that many people think that they cannot understand the Bible. If you are a Christian, the Holy Spirit will teach you the Word of God. I am all about a good Bible teacher, commentary, or Christian book but if that is your "spiritual diet", you will never grow and MOST LIKELY you will get deceived. That's just how the enemy works.
Do you want to grow in your knowledge of God?
Here's how...
"Like newborn babies, crave pure spiritual milk, so that by it you may grow up in your salvation" 1 Peter 2:2
If you have ever had a newborn baby, you know how they crave milk. Every couple of hours or more! That is their source of life! That is how we should crave God's Word for our nourishment, for our life, for our comfort.
And, I think this is really cool~ I remember reading how breast milk adapts to the needs of the baby. Like if it is a preemie baby, then the breastmilk will produce more protein or if there is an iron deficiency, more iron. It produces antibodies if it recognizes a germ... and on and on.
Don't you see how much greater the pure milk of God's Word is? It is going to give us EVERYTHING WE NEED and strengthen us in our weaknesses.
Are you a "preemie Christian"? Perfect! God's Word has exactly what you need!
I am so concerned that we (American Christians) read many more "Christian books" than
the Word of God and that is why we are tossed to and fro by every wind of doctrine. We have to be in the Word individually crying out for understanding!
"Then we will no longer be like children, forever changing our minds about what we believe because someone has told us something different or because someone has cleverly lied to us and made the lie sound like the truth."
Eph 4:14


One of the prayers Satan hates the most...
"Let my cry come before You, O LORD; Give me understanding according to Your word."
Psalm 119:169

He teaches common, ordinary, insecure, normal people His Word... like ME! I am actually very leery of men who use big words and make God's Word seem very complicated because it isn't.



"My message and my preaching were not with wise and persuasive words, but with a demonstration of the Spirit's power, so that your faith might not rest on men's wisdom, but on God's power."
1 Cor 2:4,5


"The unfolding of your words gives light; it gives understanding to the simple."
Ps 119:130

There is something in all of us that tends to follow sheep more than the Shepherd. I have had many Bible teachers minister to me. I am so grateful for teachers of God's Word. I teach God's Word but if you only come to my blog to get fed, you are missing out! God has SO MUCH MORE FOR YOU!!! And we need His Word every day! That is where we grow and get our spiritual muscles. Where God teaches us His Word and meets us in the "secret place" (where only the 2 of you can go).

"I have not departed from your laws, for you yourself have taught me."
Ps 119:102

You cannot grow by thinking others will teach you. You WILL grow if you understand that God Himself will teach you. Sure, you can listen to solid Bible teachers but they need to be "dessert" after your meat, potatoes, and milk! Begin to memorize. I have never grown more than when I began to memorize and God's Word began to take root of my soul.

Here are some good teachers to listen to for dessert...

Chuck Smith
Greg Laurie
Mark Kirk
Kay Arthur (Inductive Bible Study!!!)
David Jeremiah (End Times!)
Beth Moore
Anne Graham Lotz
Priscilla Shirer
Warren Wiersbe (awesome commentaries)
Tony Evans
Nancy Leigh Demoss
Chip Ingram
Tommy Nelson (Sex, Dating, Marriage DVDs)
Bob Coy
J Vernon Mcgee

Read this one more time...
"As for you, the anointing you received from him remains in you, and you do not need anyone to teach you. But as his anointing teaches you about all things and as that anointing is real, not counterfeit-just as it has taught you, remain in him."
1 John 2:20, 27


God will teach you! He will be waiting on you to wake up in the morning! Turn your ear to listen as one being taught!

"The Sovereign Lord has given me an instructed tongue, to know the word that sustains the weary. He wakens me morning by morning, wakens my ear to listen like one being taught."
Isaiah 50:4


Please don't depend on others for what they canNOT do. Skip the sermon on-line this week. Skip the Christian book. Spend that time with Jesus Christ and allow Him to teach you! Then you will speak with authority because God will begin to write His Word on your heart. Stop and meditate on God's Word in the stillness of the morning. Just try this for a week and see what happens.

Crave the pure milk of the Word so that you may grow and fulfill whatever ministry God is calling you into in order to serve others and show them the goodness of God.
Be Blessed!

1 comment:

Amanda May said...

Wow...GOOD stuff! I can see why the enemy (I mean blogger) ate it the first time!
The Lord is obviously using you in a powerful way!