Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Missed Opportunities

"Live wisely among those who are not Christians,
and make the most of every opportunity."
Col 4:5
We just got home from a week at the beach. We had a wonderful time! The weather was perfect and children love being there.
The beach is a very fun place to people watch. Especially on 30-A. There are cute families, cute mom's, dad's playing with babies, cute people in CUTE clothes, etc... But, this year was Spring Break so there were a lot of college kids there having fun.
One day, while in Publix shopping for groceries, I was overwhelmed by all the young girls in skimpy bathing suits buying carts full of beer, ping pong balls for beer games, and liquor. Some were with their boyfriends, some weren't. They were beautiful. I was so saddened by it. I am sure I stared. I wanted to scream, "DON'T!!!!", but I didn't.
The Lord spoke to my heart... "they don't know what they are doing".
I could feel His love and compassion toward them.
I didn't know what to do.
I bought my groceries and left.
I haven't been able to stop thinking of these girls. I am haunted by the fact I didn't speak to them. I should have told them of God's love for them. That they have been set apart for Holy purposes and that they are SO loved. That God has good plans for them. That the enemy will lie to them and convince them to give into peer pressure and living for the moment and immediate pleasure. They have no idea what they are sacrificing on that altar. I should have spoken to them. I will never miss that opportunity again. The stakes are too high. Maybe they would have listened. Maybe down deep in their heart of hearts they know God has a better plan. Maybe they would have listened during the day... in the light.
I have such a passion for these young girls. The decisions they make TODAY will affect the rest of their lives. They want to be loved. They want to be swept away by a Prince. They don't know the danger they are in. They don't know the years of pain and regret that will follow them because of their actions during Spring Breaks like this one.
I am praying for God to open doors for me to speak to young girls again. Tim and I are praying about doing more conferences with the amazing team God has brought together to reach these girls with the love of Jesus Christ.
The message is urgent.
There is no time to waste.
I missed it.
Oh, God, never let me miss another opportunity.

"And pray for us, too, that God may open a door for our message, so that we may proclaim the mystery of Christ...
Pray that I may proclaim it clearly, as I should."
Col 4:3,4

**I have been accused of being judgemental in this post. All I will say to that is I have been doing college ministry long enough to know the dangers in these types of scenarios. I have held girls in my arms as they weep over their choices in college. I simply want to reach them with the love of Christ sooner rather than later.
That may not make sense to some... and that's ok.



"Deliver those who are being taken away to death, And those who are staggering to slaughter, Oh hold them back." Prov 24:11

9 comments:

Erin Southwell said...

Man that really pulls at my heart.

Bec74 said...

I just have to say...in a loving way here, that just because these girls are drinking beer and having fun on spring break...does not mean they dont have God in their heart. This is why I have such a hard time with church, the judgement. I believe it's ok to have a little fun, drink a beer..wear a bikini..and still know the Love of Jesus. I know what you are saying is coming from love..but it seems so judgemental. I have a daughter in college and know that she has the occasional beer, goes to the occasional party...and I know that she is in love with the Lord. Hurts my heart to know that there are still people out there that feel the way you do. I was raised in church, went to youth group,sunday school..you name it I was there. I have not allowed my kids to go to church ...choose to teach them about Jesus and his love for them becuase I was raised ..drinking is bad, rock music is bad, dancing is bad..going to prom is bad. I will not do that to my kids. Sorry, this is long winded here. Just want you to see the other side.

Anonymous said...

The work you do and the passion you have for young girls is heart warming. Please don't ever let someone's comments cause you to stop doing the Lord's work. You are a wonderful young lady with a lot of love and wonderful advice! Thank you for being so kind and sweet!

-Teresa

Anonymous said...

Amen!!! I really believe if I would have had someone love Jesus enough to speak to me when I was making bad choices, when I was hurting as a young girl.....I would have returned to Him alot sooner!! Thank you for this. Thank you for stirring my heart to not want to miss any opportunities. I have to say this too, because I was there along time ago....the scenario you spoke of DOES only lead to heartache and sadness, there is Nothing good that comes from drinking and partying. We have to ask ourselves this...if Jesus were sitting in the flesh right with us, what would we choose to say or do in front of Him??? Compromise as Christians leads to heartache eventually. Yes, as the church we all sin, we are all made up of broken people who need their Savior, who need His forgiveness,that is why we look to HIM as our example of what our lives should look like.
This message IS urgent, and is so VERY important...thank you for being obedient to Him!!!
Blessings,
Kelly

Anonymous said...

Stephanie,
I am one of the girls you mentioned in this post...now age 43. I am still being healed by Jesus for my ungodly choices like partying, immodesty, and unwed sex. I encourage you in that you have given an appropriate warning in this post. I am living proof that a young life of sin will lead to pain and heartache. No one sins and lives to rejoice about it. I certainly am not. XOXO

Vada said...

I was one of those girls who drank and partied and who, at the time, thought I was having fun. Oh, if only I could go back and do it all over again the right way. It is not harmless fun and there are too many things that can and/or do happen. Please stand strong and do not worry about those who may think you are judging. We need more people like you in this world.

Patti said...

It's true, in the culture we live in a lot of Christians are accused for being judgemental for not approving of the use of alcohol, skimpy clothes, etc. But Paul says, "all is permissible but not beneficial". Playing with fire almost always leads to getting burnt. I am a married woman and occasionally enjoy a drink of wine with my husband in our home or out to dinner. I'm not anti alcohol but I am pro modesty and want to encourage girls to raise the standard for the men they want to marry someday. It's too bad we've become so accepting and desire so much to be our kids friends rather then dare to step out and say, I think what you're doing isn't right. I too strayed when I was in college and wish someone would have been so bold as to say, what are you doing and why? You will never regret purity.

Anonymous said...

I see your heart in this post and it is not one of judgement but rather, love - love for those girls, and desire to see them know God's love.
keep on :)
Alyssa

jen said...

I share your heart for these girls. You are not being judgemental to say that what God says in his Word is wrong ~ is wrong. I have girls in my jr. age class already flirting with these harmful things and my heart aches for them. They do have a love for God. They have just been lulled by the ease of following what's going on around them. I just keep praying and showing them from the BIble that God really does want Christians that are completely surrendered to Him ~ That shine brightly and differently than the rest of the world around them. That, although our natural instinct may fight it, resting in the security of His rules (the "No's" if thats how one chooses to focus on them) is really a much happier and successful life. Thank you for sharing your heart for God & our girls.